Asphalt pavements have defined strength co-efficients that determine their service life based on actual traffic conditions. The thicker the asphalt, the longer the pavement will
last. For patching we like to put at least an inch more than what was originally installed.
In general, we use the following guidelines to determine asphalt depths:
• 2” Car traffic only, no truck traffic ever
• 3” for driveways that have the occasional delivery or
• 4-5” Light truck traffic, 1-5 large trucks per day
• 6-7” Heavy truck traffic, 5-30 large trucks per day
• 8-10” Very heavy truck use (eg: city street or runways)
If there are budget constraints, do less area at the appropriate depth, not more area at less depth!